Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration of 44

Yes, I went down to the Mall yesterday to see the inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama into the office of president. Yes, it was cold (hey, I'm from Minnesota, though, I know how to layer). Yes, I know others got a better view on television from the warmth of their televisions. But I don't regret going at all, even if I feel pretty sick and exhausted today because of it.

One thing I noticed was that the crowd was excited, but also a lot more subdued than election night. Perhaps the reality had set in and they realized that Obama is president for real now. That probably means that a lot of the crowd will be disappointed. I'm going to give credit to the public. They may be placing a lot of hope in Obama to fix our problems, but the truth is that the last eight years have been so bad for most people that many are willing to be patient for things to get better. They know it won't be overnight.

I'll leave the analysis of the speech to others who are more qualified, but I thought that after all that to-do over Rick Warren one of the best speeches yesterday was actually that of Rev. Dr. Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction. Lowery has been a civil rights leader for a long time, and his speech showed that. It was nice to see homage paid to the leaders of yesterday. If you didn't catch his whole benediction, it's below.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...