Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sarah Haskins Is Awesome, Continued

Over at Campus Progress, I have a piece up that I'm really excited about. I got to interview Sarah Haskins about her role as a feminist comedian. (Note: If you don't know who she is, you should first immediately go here to check out her funny videos and secondly admit that you don't read nearly enough feminist blogs.) She also breaks the news to me that she has sold a screenplay:

Haskins has found some small success with her “Target Women” segment on Infomania, but she, like others in Los Angeles, is hoping to make it big. “I just sold a screenplay with my writing partner, a friend I knew from college. That’s very exciting. The protagonists are two girls,” she said. “That’s been awesome and hopefully it’ll get made. That’s sort of the Hollywood thing and where you don’t know if any of that will ever happen.”

Hollywood is known for being a tough town for women writers. As I pointed out in a recent article, only 12 percent of screenwriters in the top-grossing films last year were women. Haskins also noted that in her own experience with peddling a screenplay she felt women in the industry were more receptive to her work. “I feel like female producers maybe on the next level like TV or film are inclined to look at a female-oriented project or pitch and be a little kinder to it. You know, maybe take a second look at it because people are looking for young female writers,” she said. “I definitely have met with more women since I’ve been out here in Hollywood.”

I cannot wait for the possibility to see a film co-written by Sarah Haskins. That film will definitely make $10.75 from this feminist. Additionally, it's important to point out that Haskins has a lot in common with bloggers and eats Cheetos.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...